Wednesday, January 27, 2016

New Year, New Focus

It's been a while since my last post but that's because I was too busy doing everything BUT running and biking. But I'm easing my way back to running and I've lined up my coach again for cycling...wait cycling? Yes! This is my new year, new focus...for the first half anyways. I've never focused on cycling and with one season under my belt I'm no longer a newbie and would love to see what I can do on two wheels!

Since getting injured a lot has happened to this one-track-running-mind of mine. Not only have I overcome my fear of swimming (see last posts) but I have found a new obsession: xcountry skiing. In fact I love it so much that even after seeing The Revenant, which was filmed in kanaskis country, I am still eager to get out there and ride my skis! The cross training it has provided is phenomenal. The few runs I've done have been surprisingly speedy, for four months off! This is why I have changed focus...I can still run at a high caliber while enjoying the many other things life has to offer me. 

That being said....I have a pretty exciting running event on my calendar also. I was given the opportunity to organize a team of 12 local female runners to take on the Treadmill Relay 24 hour event Guinness World Record. That's right - Guinness world record!!!!! Well now THIS gets me excited about running again. It's for an amazing cause. There will be a men's relay team along with two crazy soloists (sorry guys but you're crazy!!!) and we are joining forces to raise money for Mito Canada, a charity organization for mitochondrial disease that affects a local endurance athlete's family. I can't pass up an opportunity like this! And pretty excited at the amazing talent I will get to run along beside at this event!

So that takes up my first half of the year. Why am I copping out so early? Well, I have some pretty exciting plans for the second half. My hubby and I have decided we would like to expand our family and are aiming to do so this year. I can think of some pretty awesome reasons to have a baby...like stroller races and mom strength...oh and a little human being to take up all my time and energy and sanity ;) but seriously, as nervous as I am equally excited and also know that I don't want to keep putting it off. There will always be another race to train for, another holiday to go on, or whatever other reasons I've used until now. And for me, personally, I do want to look back on my life and have a mini-me to share it with. I do, however, wish my little girl could be delivered to my front doorstep and I could just skip the whole being pregnant thing! *sigh* And I've decided I'm having a girl, in case any of you missed that!

Let's talk about the elephant in the room now, my foot - well I'm happy to report it's on the mend. I thought I had potentially refractured it but it's just weak and requires patience. But it's getting there and I feel optimistic that this four month hiatus will just be a blip in my past one day very soon. Kinda like pregnancy (I hope) cause I have NO desire to be pregnant. But I'm trying to liken pregnancy to training for a PB - before you know it the race is here and you forget about the hard work it took to get there. Except that instead of losing weight I'll be gaining it, retaining water, swelling......ya ok maybe I'm not quite "ready"...oh this is gonna be fun :)

That's all I got for you for now but stay tuned for some exciting fundraising events the ladies GWR team has planned. You've always wanted a desktop Calendar of ladies in action right? Or our recipes for our speedy secrets? Those all can be yours very soon! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment