Thursday, October 22, 2015

What's Next?

I had saved my post this week with the intent of another TBT; however I thought it would be more beneficial to share the findings of my husbands research on Vitamin C. "Tis the season" to start downing the stuff to avoid the inevitable flu season that is upon us. But be careful how much you take!!

For those who read my debut post you will recall that I experienced intense kidney pain near the last quarter of my race. A few weeks leading up to that race my husband and I were, apparently, overdosing on vitamin C. The side effects of that include kidney pain (even kidney stones), diarrhea, headache, abdominal bloating and cramps, and heartburn. The pain in my stomach I described as a heart burn or acid reflux feeling, termed by me as "gut rot". My husband was experiencing mega heartburn too! It is worth mentioning this is uncommon for both of us. Not putting two and two together we kept at it with our "it tastes horrible but it works!" attitude and downed 1000mg per day for two weeks. Kidney pain, diarrhea, and stomach pain explained. 

My blood work also came back normal which perplexed my doctor given the symptoms I was having. So much so he took it upon himself to do extra research (did I mention this was a walk in - kudos to Wellpoint Health - Chaparral) and called me on my holiday to assure me I was ok and he is now certain it was exercise induced. Will share more of that when I have finally made my follow up appointment to collect his research. Needless to say I'm very happy that I rejected the impromptu colon exam I was offered as that would have been an unfortunate unnecessary experience. Ha!

So What's Next?

Now that I know I'm healthy to continue running I'm not going to pretend I'm not also excited for a little racing hiatus. Between bike races and running races this year, since spring I've done over 15 races and I'm raced out! I think a mental break is in order before I join the ranks of the elite crew at Calgary Scotiabank Half Marathon next May, if accepted. My race time at BMO qualified me for this (complimentary entry status only but still pretty cool) and I figure it's an opportunity I should take, circumstances permitting. That being said, I'm sure you'll bump into me, or pass me, or be passed by me at some local races or along fish creek park in the next few months, but don't expect stellar performances ;) I'm going to enjoy the schedule of "whatever workout I feel like doing" for the next few months while I get back into the game mentally. 

I'll continue to write and share things I have learned in my amateur experience but the new race stories may be fewer and farther between. But hang tight...I'll be back on the racing scene before the snow is gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment